Fill in the blanks
1. Often, the operating company has a representative _on the rig site_______________. The company representative or the company man works with the drilling contractor to __measure__________ they drill the hole ___meets____ the operating company’s specifications.
2. This is the toolpusher. The toolpusher is drilling contractor’s ____top persion_______ on the site. He or she is the overall team leader and is alternatively __responsible_________ for everything on the rig. Because the contractor is drilling a hole for the oil company, the toolpusher works ____closed_____ with the company representative.
3. The guy you get to know well, your immediate team __leader_____, is the driller. The driller not only _supervise__________ you and the rest of the floor crew, but also runs the rig. He __controls_______ the rig fints position on the rig floor.
4. The derrick man __handls_______ the upper end of drill pipe when it’s in the derrick. The derrickman works with the drilling mud when the bit is on bottom and drilling. He or she _routine checks________________ the mud to ensure that meet the specifications. Also, the derrickman __operates________ and does routine ___maintain__________ and mud
5. One place wil l be working is on the rig floor near the rotary table. That’s why your __job title________ is rotary helper or floor hands. One job is to __set slips____________. Slips are special wages that __sup______ drill pipe in the hole when it is off bottom.
6. And you work with the tongs. Tongs are big __heavy-duty_________ wrenches that used to __screw_______ and __unscrew________ joints of pipe. You get plenty of hands on training with these tools. When working with tongs, watch where you __place_______ your fingers and hands. It’s easy to get them caught between the tongs and joint of pipe. And watch your hands when you set in slips, your hand can _caught___________ between the slip handle and drill pipe.
7. This person is __large______ a pipe lifting tool on drill pipe. The tool is called the elevator. The elevators allow the driller to _lat______ and ________ pipe out of or into the hole. You have to be careful where you place your hands so they don’t get caught between the elevator operating __handls______ and the drill pipe.
8. This crew is setting _stands_______ of drill pipe back in the derrick as they come out of the hole. This is another place you want to be careful. It’s
pretty easy to get your hand or _fingers_______ caught between the stands you are _____setting_________ and another stand.
9. You also ___injure_____ joints of pipe across the ______pipe_______ from time to time. Again, be very careful where you put your hands and fingers. Pipes are heavy, so be careful.
10. Of course, while the bits are on the bottom and ___drilling _______,you have other __duties_______. For one thing, keeping the rig floor ___clean_____ and orderly is vital to __safe work_________. Good _______________ is essential. And there is always ___main________ work needs to be done.